Some citation here.
In accordance with TalkBank rules, any use of data from this corpus must be accompanied by at least one of the above references.
These are short conversations recorded by the students in Brian MacWhinney's class in Language and Thought in the Fall term of 2001. This assignment was worth 25% of the grade. The goal was to learn to record and transcribe spontaneous interactions using CLAN. The transcripts are combined in one zip file, called cmu.zip. The audio and documentation can be downloaded separately. The materials include:
- Dimitrios discussing the experience of coming to America in Greek with his mother.
- Elizabeth planning the evening's activities with her family.
- An anonymous student discussing past events with his friends from Singapore.
- Marina discussing travel with two Swiss friends.
- Yuki discussing her friend's dog.
- Discussions in Marianne's immigrant Russian family on translation, the word "flaky", the idea of a 4-minute mile.
This is a parallel set from the class of the Spring of 2003.
- Anna's recording of a discussion of dominance relations in a sorority: transcript and audio.
- Amy discussing graduate schools with her friends with some code-mixing.
- Beverly's workgroup devising a ball net.
- Courtney's discussion of her childhood with her mother.
- David's recording of a session of a CMU comedy group.
- Jai's art project group.
- Jing's discussion in Chinese with her statistics tutor.
- Kerry's recording of a discussion between a couple planning a move to Minneapolis after graduation.
- Kirsten's recording of a conversation between two friends.
- Matthew's recording of a computerized route description task.
- Michael's transcripts from discussions of CMU life between friends.
- Monica's recording of friends in a cafe.
- Ryan's recording of his buddies discussing spring break and football season.
- Vanessa's recording of a discussion of a friend's dating life.